The history of beer brewing
Beer has been brewed in Nový Jičín since the foundation of the town. There were 45 brewing houses, 28 of them were on the town square and the rest in the neighbouring streets. In the middle of the square there was a wooden brewery which brewed barley and rye beer.
However, the old wooden brewery was no longer suitable and was demolished. In 1590 the lawyers bought the corner house on the northwest side of the square (now yellow-green) in order to build a new brewery in the following three years. This brewery fell victim to a huge fire in 1768, but was soon rebuilt. By the middle of the 19th century, it was no longer suitable for operational requirements. The last beer was brewed here in 1834, and the house continued to function only as a taproom, and later as a hotel and inn (Axman).
Another brewery was founded by Leopold Kudielka in 1869 in the farm settlement of Bocheta near Nový Jičín. The company was established on the old trade route called Císařská. It belonged to the Kudielka family until 1945. The brewery was modernly equipped, and it bottled beer into barrels and bottles, which were then distributed not only around the town but also to the surrounding area. Part of the company was a malt house for processing barley. From January 1947 the brewery was part of the national company Moravian-Silesian Breweries. In the post-war period, it produced about 25 thousand hectolitres of beer per year. The brewery brewed light ten (Loučské výčepní světlé) and light twelve (Bochetský kozel). At the end of the 1960s, the taproom grew to 72,000 hectolitres per year. At that time, the Bocheta breweries also produced Ostravar, a light lager, under "licence". At the beginning of the 1970s, the local breweries were turned down for good. Louč beer was replaced by the golden beverage from Nošovice.
In the first half of the 1990s, the brewing tradition in the town was restored for a few years. In the National House, they brewed a light and dark unfiltered twelve-degree beer called Baron. The microbrewery ceased operations in 1997.